Learn how common medical conditions can affect the course of the dental treatment a patient receives. This updated, concise reference provides the information you need to provide appropriate dental care to any patient, regardless of existing medical conditions. Featuring vivid illustrations and well-organized tables in each chapter, this text gives you the in-depth details and the overall summaries you need to get to the root of your patients' needs.
- Organization of medical conditions provides a brief overview of the basic disease process, epidemiology, pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, laboratory findings, and currently accepted medical therapy of each disorder. This is followed by a detailed explanation and recommendations for specific dental management.
- Coverage of dosages, side effects, and drug interactions with medications used in dentistry, including those used during pregnancy.
- Chapters focusing on major health problems in the US and other nations include, ischemic hearth disease, smoking and tobacco use cessation, sleep-related breathing disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, diabetes mellitus, and psychiatric disorders.
- Dental management summary table summarizes important factors for consideration in the dental management of medically compromised patients.
- Appendix on the therapeutic management of common oral lesions provides a quick reference to the causative factors, clinical description, currently accepted therapeutic management, and patient education regarding common oral conditions.
- Appendix on alternative and complementary drugs looks at herbal remedies, specifically efficacy, adverse effects/reactions, medical problems, drug interactions, and dental implications.